develooper Front page | perl.qa | Postings from October 2007

Re: Running CPAN as a regular user, installing as root

From:
Christopher Laco
Date:
October 18, 2007 17:27
Re: Running CPAN as a regular user, installing as root
Message ID:
4717F9D4.4080700@chrislaco.com
Matisse Enzer wrote:
> I was following the comments in http://use.perl.org/~Alias/journal/34680
> and came across something that was new to me, and seemed worthy of
> repeating here - if only one other person learns this it'll be worth it:
>
> In comment http://use.perl.org/comments.pl?sid=37249&cid=58370 brian d
> foy points out that these days there is a really easy way to run CPAN as
> a normal user, and install as root. Here's how to set your CPAn config
> to do this:
>

> From your shell prompt:
>
>   sudo cpan
>
> Then from the cpan shell:
>
>   o conf make_install_make_command 'sudo make'
>   o conf mbuild_install_build_command 'sudo ./Build'
>   o conf commit
>   quit
>
> From now on, run cpan as a regular user:
>
>   cpan Some::New::Module
>
> That will build as you, and install as root.

I juat tried this on OSX. ~./cpan is fresh...as my user

cpan -i CPAN

yields:

> Running make install
> Warning: You do not have permissions to install into //System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level at /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 114.
> Cannot forceunlink /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/CPAN.pm: Permission denied at /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/File/Find.pm line 906

o conf:

>     make               /usr/bin/make
>     make_arg
>     make_install_arg
>     make_install_make_command sudo make
>     makepl_arg
>     mbuild_install_build_command sudo ./Build

-=Chris