Testing Using Scripts that are Installed by the Dependent Modules

From:
Shlomi Fish
Date:
June 14, 2007 04:22
Subject:
Testing Using Scripts that are Installed by the Dependent Modules
Message ID:
200706141422.03486.shlomif@iglu.org.il
Hi all!

In this report:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.cpan.testers/2007/06/msg508523.html

I receive the following errors for one of my modules, which is a Test-Run
plugin:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{
t/00-load...........# Testing Test::Run::Plugin::ColorFileVerdicts 0.0101,
Perl 5.008008, /home/chris/perl588/bin/perl
ok
t/01-run............ok
t/02-cmdline-run....
#   Failed test 'ok is colored'
#   at t/02-cmdline-run.t line 56.
# $trap->stdout() is
# $trap->stderr() is
# Can't exec "runprove": No such file or directory at t/02-cmdline-run.t line
46.

#   Failed test 'ok is colored in a different color'
#   at t/02-cmdline-run.t line 74.
# $trap->stdout() is
# $trap->stderr() is
# Can't exec "runprove": No such file or directory at t/02-cmdline-run.t line
64.

#   Failed test 'ok is colored in a different color'
#   at t/02-cmdline-run.t line 92.
# $trap->stdout() is
# $trap->stderr() is
# Can't exec "runprove": No such file or directory at t/02-cmdline-run.t line
82.
# Looks like you failed 3 tests of 3.
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

As you can see the "runprove" utility (that is installed as part of
Test-Run-CmdLine, which is a dependency of that plugin), could not be
executed for some reason. My guess is that its installation path was not in
$ENV{PATH}.

So my questions are:

1. Shouldn't the path where the scripts and executables are installed should
be configured before CPANPLUS.pm or CPAN.pm are invoked for installing the
modules as part of the smoking? Isn't it a bug at their end?

2. Should I somehow convert the command line invocation to a command line
application disguised as a module (e.g: <<perl -MApp::Runprove -e 'run()' --
@args>>), so I'll avoid such problems in the future?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif@iglu.org.il