develooper Front page | | Postings from February 2005

Re: Test::Unit, ::Class, or ::Inline?

Adrian Howard
February 7, 2005 07:51
Re: Test::Unit, ::Class, or ::Inline?
Message ID:
Belated response...

On 26 Jan 2005, at 20:18, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 04:11:56PM -0500, Ian Langworth wrote:
>> I'm taking a software development class this semester which will
>> involve
>> writing extensive object-oriented code. My partner and I are trying to
>> decide whether to use Test::Unit, ::Class, or ::Inline for our test
>> scripts.
>> I can see the advantages of Test::Class in terms of object heirarchy,
>> but I really like the idea of having my tests right along with the
>> methods when using Test::Inline. (The latter would be great when
>> presenting our code to the class.)
>> Thoughts?
> Test::Unit, as mentioned by Curtis, has been abandoned.

Has it? I thought that the folk on had taken
it on ?

If it has been abandoned I might adopt it (if only to add a note that
active development has ceased and add pointers to Test::Builder based

> The important thing to remember is these are all additive.  Its not
> either or.  You can safely use Test::Inline and Test::Class together.
> You can use them all in addition to traditional .t files.  Use them all
> where appropriate.

Hell, I wrote T::C and I still start my test scripts with plain
Test::More until I actually need things like fixtures.

One of the things that makes Perl's testing framework so neat is the
way you can integrate different testing models/frameworks via
Test::Builder / TAP / Test::Harness.