develooper Front page | | Postings from July 2003

why we are doing this

Nicholas Clark
July 16, 2003 07:26
why we are doing this
Message ID:
I claim that Dave Mitchell's sig file knows exactly why we are doing this:

----- Forwarded message from Dave Mitchell <> -----

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:02:54 +0100
From: Dave Mitchell <>
To: Arthur Bergman <>
Cc: "''" <>
Subject: Re: Fatal 5.8.1 error in our $FOO = x if $FOO

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 02:09:13PM +0100, Arthur Bergman wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 02:04  pm, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> >the second $foo refers to whatever was in scope had the 'our'
> >declaration
> >not been there (so you get the 'explicit package name' warning).
> It isn't actually a warning is it, it is a fatal error?

The perl5 internals are a complete mess. It's like Jenga - to get the
perl5 tower taller and do something new you select a block somewhere in
the middle, with trepidation pull it out slowly, and then carefully
balance it somewhere new, hoping the whole edifice won't collapse as a
		- Nicholas Clark.

----- End forwarded message -----