develooper Front page | perl.pod-people | Postings from November 2005

improving Pod viewing in emacs

From:
Sean M. Burke
Date:
November 18, 2005 21:33
Subject:
improving Pod viewing in emacs
Message ID:
437EB91C.4010107@cpan.org
Now that I am no longer responsible for actually implementing Pod
thingies, I feel free (existentially!) to make sage pronouncements and
saucy suggestions.  And here's one idea that recently occurred to me:

I'm a not-very-sophisticated Emacs user, so I beg a thousand
cyberpardons if my understanding of the problem space is wonky.  But:
Last I looked at emacs's Perl support, the only way to browse Pod from
within emacs was either just to run a shell command to perldoc, or to
call the smarter function cperl-perldoc.  But cperl-perldoc (from
cperl-mode.el, of course) simply passes off to calling pod2man (either
directly or via perldoc and Man-getpage-in-background) with TERM set to
"dumb".  Of course, this produces just plaintext, with no fontification
and with no hyperlinking of the the L<...> things.  That makes me sad.

I figure there's two different ways that someone with better emacs
skills that I could make this work:

* Have perldoc spit out the raw *roff code and then coax some part of
woman.el into doing the formatting.  (woman.el parses and formats *roff
code right in emacs, instead of having *roff do it.)

* Or completely avoid the whole detour thru nroff, and instead have
perldoc use a different formatting class (via a -M switch) that would
dumpthe parsed Pod as a big Lisp form.  This could be easily produced by
copying the short and sweet Pod::Simple::XMLOutStream and tweaking it to
spit out Lisp instead (freely scavanging from as_Lisp_form in
HTML::Element).  Emacs could then just eval that Lisp form, and then
accordingly produce a buffer with the text bits having appropriate
formatting and also hyperlinks that work.

I figure an experienced elisp superstah could do either of these on some
well-caffeinated afternoon.  If there are any within the sound of my
voice: you know you want to do this!

--
Sean M. Burke   http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/