develooper Front page | perl.perlfaq.workers | Postings from October 2004

Re: Bad links in the perlfaq

From:
Smylers
Date:
October 9, 2004 04:26
Re: Bad links in the perlfaq
Message ID:
slrncmf9aa.mm.Smylers@stripey.com

  http://www.perl.com/doc/FMTEYEWTK/versus/

> ======perlfaq2.pod
>         http://perl.oreilly.com/catalog/cookbook/

That one's actually gone to:

  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cookbook/

(and how stupid of O'Reilly to break their own URLs like this), but we
should probably link to the latest edition, at:

  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlckbk2/

>         http://www.perl.com/perl/critiques/index.html

This only seems to exist courtesy of the Wayback Machine:

  http://web.archive.org/web/20031207125448/http://www.perl.com/language/critiques/index.html

but looking at the content it seems a much better place to link to
instead would be:

  http://books.perl.org/

> ======perlfaq3.pod
>         http://alpha.olm.net/
>         http://w4.lns.cornell.edu/%7Epvhp/ptk/ptkTOC.html

I know nothing about Macs nor Tk, so I'll leave those two for somebody
else to examine.

>         http://www.ActiveState.com/Products/Komodo/index.html

That one's easy:

  http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/

(and I reckon that link would always've worked, which is yet another
reason why you should never publish links with /index.html on the end
when a mere / would do, but so many sites seem to do this when linking
in their own pages).

>         http://www.castlelink.co.uk/object_system/
>         http://www.starbase.com/

Again, those are new on me.

> ======perlfaq4.pod
>         http://language.perl.com/news/y2k.html

Take your pick from:

  http://www.perl.com/pub/a/1999/01/y2k.html
  http://www.perl.org/about/y2k.html

Personally I'd go for the latter, cos Perl.com URLs have historically
moved around so much that it seems safer to avoid them where possible!

Smylers