develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from February 2011

Re: Fwd: FOSDEM - perl 6 critic

From:
Moritz Lenz
Date:
February 22, 2011 08:35
Re: Fwd: FOSDEM - perl 6 critic
Message ID:
4D63E5D8.7000705@faui2k3.org
Am 22.02.2011 17:14, schrieb Guy Hulbert:
> On Tue, 2011-22-02 at 17:57 +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>> For a better comparison that takes in account the features as well see
>> http://www.modernperlbooks.com/mt/2010/07/an-accurate-comparison-of-perl-5-and-rakudo-star.html
>
> Thanks for posting this.
>
> Can I infer from this article that it is *rakudo*, which is slow, rather
> than parrot?

There are three different sources for slowness:
1) parrot itself. For example the calling conventions seem to be a major
bottleneck, now that the garbage collector has be sped up significantly
2) rakudo itself. For example the lazy list iteration code could
certainly use some optimizations
3) For some features there's a mismatch between what parrot provides and
what rakudo/Perl 6 needs, which makes rakudo go longer ways, which in
turn implies slowness. A large example of this is that rakudo can't
serialize all built-in types, but rather has to re-generate them at
startup time - which of course is a costly affair.

Cheers,
Moritz