develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from February 2008

Re: Perl 6 fundraising and related topics.

From:
Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH
Date:
February 21, 2008 12:11
Re: Perl 6 fundraising and related topics.
Message ID:
4E00224B-EC1F-464A-BDCA-53FC458F7940@ece.cmu.edu

On Feb 21, 2008, at 14:42 , Larry Wall wrote:

> Again, that was a really good argument for pugs, which among other
> things *renewed* excitement in parrot.  But pugs also demonstrated
> some
> difficulties with that approach.  The fact is that every approach has
> run into almost insurmountable difficulties from time to time, and
> it's
> only brute determination that keeps most of us going most of the time,
> regardless of which project we're working on.

Note also that the problems with Pugs aren't necessarily problems
with Haskell, but with Pugs' way of using it.  The real roadblock
with Pugs is that Audrey Tang was the only one who really understood
it. (I'm still not good enough with Haskell to try to do a Perl6
implementation in it, although I know it well enough to believe that
it *can* be done... just not quite the way Pugs does it.)

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allbery@kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu