develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from June 2010

Re: Announce: Rakudo Perl 6 development release #30 ("Kiev")

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
Re: Announce: Rakudo Perl 6 development release #30 ("Kiev")
Message ID:
4C1ADE49.7060308@darrenduncan.net
Stefan O'Rear wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 04:55:38PM -0700, Darren Duncan wrote:
>> So, is "Rakudo Star" meant to be a parallel release series, sort of like
>> Perl 5.12.x vs 5.13.x are now, or are the monthly Rakudo releases we've
>> been seeing going to be named "Star" at some point?  I thought I read
>> recently that "Star" would be coming in June. -- Darren Duncan
>
> Rakudo Star is a parrallel release series; however, it is not a series of
> compiler releases, but a series of complete Perl 6 environments.  A
> single release of Rakudo Star will contain:
>
> - Some version of Rakudo (not necessarily a monthly)
> - Some version of Parrot
> - Some random libraries
> - Documentation
>
> all vetted to work OK together.

Ah, that's even better than I expected.

So then the experience to a Perl 6 user could be like the same opaque experience
of installing Perl 5 or some other language, where the whole language
implementation is together and a single configure/make/etc will take care of
everything, and users don't have to know about the distinct Parrot+Rakudo+etc
components if they don't want to, as they get the "perl" binary.

Will this package work on Windows too like Strawberry for Perl 5 (I'm not a
Windows user but that's a valuable project), or just Unixen for now?

-- Darren Duncan