develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from April 2010

Re: A new era for Temporal

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
April 9, 2010 06:34
Re: A new era for Temporal
Message ID:
alpine.DEB.0.9999.1004090829140.27006@urth.org
On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, Carl Mäsak wrote:

> I do want to explicitly credit Dave Rolsky, whose work on the DateTime
> family of modules on CPAN has informed much of the current spec,
> sometimes to the point of verbatim copying.

Thanks, but I'd hate to see you copy all my mistakes too!

One thing I think is really important is to offer a Date-only object
without a time component.

The lack of such an object in Perl 5's DateTime family is a real problem.
If you're only interested in dates and date math, time and time zones just
muddies the water.

Also, I really don't think that supporting time zones only in the form of
"+0100" is useful. This gives the _illusion_ of time zone support, but
will inevitable cause all sorts of user facing problems. Buy maybe this is
part isn't done?

On a smaller point, I think second vs whole_second is the wrong
Huffman coding. I'd think most people want the integer value.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)