develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from February 2009

IO, Trees, and Time/Date

From:
Timothy S. Nelson
Date:
February 17, 2009 03:38
Subject:
IO, Trees, and Time/Date
Message ID:
alpine.LRH.1.10.0902172227350.17863@gwalcmai.nelson.org.au
 	Hi all.  I know we usually run on forgiveness instead of permission,
but I'm suggesting a big change (or extension, anyway), so I wanted to run the
ideas by you all before I put the effort in.  If I don't get feedback, I'll
just make the changes.

 	The first thing I wanted to suggest was that in S16, the OS-specific
stuff be split out into separate roles.  I suspect this is mostly
non-controversial, so I'll do that unless someone complains.

 	My second thought is that we need to specify tree objects (see
http://www.mail-archive.com/perl6-language@perl.org/msg28579.html ).  I'll put
them in S16 unless someone complains.

 	My third thought is that it would be very useful also to have
date/time objects that integrate well with eg. ctime, mtime, and the like; I'd
start with Time::Piece as a model.

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Time-Piece/Piece.pm

 	My final question is, since people are now getting somewhat familiar
with the "file:" URI scheme (ie. file:/home/wayland/Notes.txt or
file:/C/Documents and Settings/wayland/Notes.txt or whatever), I'm wondering
if this isn't how we should be specifying our files; it's prettier than
File::Spec :), and unified.

 	Anyway, HTH,

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland@wayland.id.au    | I am                           |