develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from February 2009

IO, Trees, and Time/Date

Timothy S. Nelson
February 17, 2009 03:38
IO, Trees, and Time/Date
Message ID:
 	Hi all.  I know we usually run on forgiveness instead of permission,
but I'm suggesting a big change (or extension, anyway), so I wanted to run the
ideas by you all before I put the effort in.  If I don't get feedback, I'll
just make the changes.

 	The first thing I wanted to suggest was that in S16, the OS-specific
stuff be split out into separate roles.  I suspect this is mostly
non-controversial, so I'll do that unless someone complains.

 	My second thought is that we need to specify tree objects (see ).  I'll put
them in S16 unless someone complains.

 	My third thought is that it would be very useful also to have
date/time objects that integrate well with eg. ctime, mtime, and the like; I'd
start with Time::Piece as a model.

 	My final question is, since people are now getting somewhat familiar
with the "file:" URI scheme (ie. file:/home/wayland/Notes.txt or
file:/C/Documents and Settings/wayland/Notes.txt or whatever), I'm wondering
if this isn't how we should be specifying our files; it's prettier than
File::Spec :), and unified.

 	Anyway, HTH,

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail:    | I am                           |

Version 3.12
GCS d+++ s+: a- C++$ U+++$ P+++$ L+++ E- W+ N+ w--- V-