develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from February 2006

Re: Heureka - from the -Ofun department

From:
Leopold Toetsch
Date:
February 10, 2006 14:32
Re: Heureka - from the -Ofun department
Message ID:
95b32cd2aca8f1e5a331d77b342dacb6@toetsch.at

On Feb 10, 2006, at 18:34, Andy Dougherty wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
>
>> Parrot runs the ackermann benchmark faster than C.

> This looked like fun, so I tried it on Solaris/SPARC.

Solaris/SPARC doesn't have a working JIT runcore rurrently and I can't
test it - no chance yet.
The mentioned optimizations are currently ok for x86 and ppc.

> I tried it on x86, where Parrot took 80 times as long:

Rafl was also reporting it not to be working, which is really strange,
because he could see (and trace) genereated optimized JIT code. It's
still unclear what's going on here.

Anyway, with the official (and a bit slower shootout code):

$ time ./parrot -Oc -Cj examples/shootout/ack.pir 11
Ack(3, 11) = 16381

real    0m0.748s

$ time ./parrot -Oc -Sj examples/shootout/ack.pir 11
Ack(3, 11) = 16381

real    0m0.800s

The optimized PIR from the email is 0.5 sec, the C code takes 0.9 secs,
all with AMD X2@2000.
Parrot Revision: 11505

leo