develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from March 2005

Re: Pugs Q for the Parrot FAQ?

Aaron Sherman
March 30, 2005 12:50
Re: Pugs Q for the Parrot FAQ?
Message ID:
On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 14:58, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> Based on the wheat on IRC this evening, is this question/answer worth adding
> to the Parrot FAQ on
> Pugs is going great shakes - why not just toss Parrot and run Perl 6 on Pugs?
> Autrijus Tang, the lead on the Pugs project, notes that an *unoptimised*
> Parrot is already 30% faster than Haskell. Add compiler optimisation and a
> few planned optimisations and Parrot will beat Pugs for speed hands down.
> Autrijus things that Pugs could be made faster with some Haskell compiler
> tricks, but it's harder work and less effective than the Parrot optimisations
> we already know how to do.

Good answer, and other than adding a bit about cross-language usage I'd
stop there (memory issues are important but complex, and you've already
made your point with this brief answer).

The next question is:

Q: OK, so Parrot is fast... Pugs can back-end to Parrot, right?

A: Yes (though at this time, that's in the early stages). Still, the
ultimate goal is for Perl 6 to be self-hosting (that is, written in
itself) in order to improve introspection, debugger capabilities,
compile-time semantic modulation, etc. For this reason, Pugs will
probably be the compiler that first compiles the ultimate Perl 6
compiler, but thereafter Pugs will no longer be the primary reference
implementation. This is documented by the Pugs team at

Aaron Sherman <>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith