develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from December 2001

Re: Large string patch

Piers Cawley
December 30, 2001 00:16
Re: Large string patch
Message ID:
"David & Lisa Jacobs" <> writes:

> From what I could tell, it looks like Dan put it in there as a
> potential GC hook when allocating the header of a string or PMC (see
> resources.c). My guess is that he is planning to fire off the GC
> from the interpreter.
> If that is the case and we need it back, let me know and I'll
> restore it.
> Has the scope of the GC been determined yet? By this I mean will it
> only be managing PMC and STRING objects or will be used for all
> memory allocations?

If my understanding of continuations is correct then they're going to
be *so* much easier to implement if everything gets allocated from via

   "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a language in
    possession of a rich syntax must be in need of a rewrite."
         -- Jane Austen?