develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from October 2001

java vs. parrot mops

From:
Kevin Huber
Date:
October 30, 2001 05:21
Subject:
java vs. parrot mops
Message ID:
3BDEA8D7.7030007@mediaone.net
This is a comparison of mops running on Parrot (-O6 on an Athlon 700)
versus Java JDK 1.4.0 beta 2 jitted and interpreted.  You can see that
Parrot performance is very comparable to Java in interpreted mode.

I've attached mops.class and mops.ksm, some disassembly output from
Kopi.  mops.class was generated automatically by Parrot2Java which I
will make available once I fix a few more bugs :-).

-Kevin

$ test_prog mops.pbc
Iterations:    100000000
Estimated ops: 300000000
Elapsed time:  14.766181
M op/s:        20.316695

$ java -version
java version "1.4.0-beta2"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.0-beta2-b77)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.0-beta2-b77, mixed mode)

$ java mops
Iterations:    100000000
Estimated ops: 300000000
Elapsed time:  0.6059999465942383