develooper Front page | perl.perl6.compiler | Postings from February 2008

Re: Perl 6 fundraising and related topics.

From:
chromatic
Date:
February 21, 2008 13:23
Re: Perl 6 fundraising and related topics.
Message ID:
200802211323.43464.chromatic@wgz.org
On Thursday 21 February 2008 06:25:42 Joshua Gatcomb wrote:

> Here is something to consider.  Unless we can afford to fund an individual
> full time with enough money for them to pay for their own health coverage
> and other benefits, the amount of time they are volunteering is already as
> much as they can afford.  In other words, they still have to work a regular
> job and make time for their family (or whatever substitutes for the real
> world) and giving them money isn't going to equate to them being able to
> devote to more time.  That isn't to say that these volunteers don't deserve
> to get compensated but it is unrealistic to expect that money will equate
> to more time in many of the cases.

I could take a month's sabbatical from my day job for $5000 without losing
insurance coverage or other benefits.  That's slightly more than Audrey's
$100/day, I know, but it's substantially less than my consulting rate and
somewhat less than my salary too.  I could probably make 100 - 150
high-quality commits to Parrot in that 30 day period.  Perhaps more.

I'm probably not the only Parrot/Perl 6 hacker in this situation.

-- c