develooper Front page | perl.perl6.compiler | Postings from August 2006

Ponie has been put out to pasture

From:
Jesse Vincent
Date:
August 23, 2006 14:28
Subject:
Ponie has been put out to pasture
Message ID:
D448B55A-0DA3-4CE4-BC43-E176868322BF@fsck.com
Over the past several years, one key aspect of the migration plan to
Perl 6 has been the Ponie project, a fusion of the Perl 5 runtime
with Parrot. Sponsored by Fotango, Artur Bergman and Nicholas Clark
did a heroic job cleaning up Perl's internals to make it possible to
replace some components of Perl 5 with Parrot, one piece at a time,
while still keeping the core of the Perl 5 runtime intact with 100%
bug-for-bug compatibility. Along the way, Nicholas ported several
significant Perl core improvements from Ponie back to the Perl 5.9 tree.

Ponie never really became a community project. All significant work
was done as part of Fotango's sponsorship. When it had good momentum
and sponsored developers, it needed a number of Parrot features that
weren't yet available. At this point, Ponie has not been in active
development for almost half a year and it's my unhappy duty to
declare the project dead.

Norman Nunley is currently working to do a final extraction of
unharvested improvements from the Ponie code before we put it out to
pasture. Lots of good came out of Ponie, just not the good things we
expected.

A number of very talented hackers are currently exploring multiple
strategies to enable most Perl 5 code to run seamlessly along side
Perl 6 in Parrot. Folks have already demonstrated a proof-of-concept
Parrot VM embedded in the Perl 5 runtime. Work is underway on a Perl
5 to Perl 6 translator and the existing Perl 6 compiler on Parrot is
the proof of concept for a similar implementation of a "regularized"
Perl 5. At this point, it wouldn't be reasonable to bless any one
right way forward but each of these techniques (and possibly others)
could play a part in whatever "5 on 6" scheme we end up with. No
matter what happens, we're committed to making your Perl 5 code play
well with new Perl 6 code.

    - Jesse
      Perl 6 Project Manager