develooper Front page | perl.perl6.compiler | Postings from May 2005

Pugs now embeds Parrot.

From:
Autrijus Tang
Date:
May 3, 2005 12:40
Subject:
Pugs now embeds Parrot.
Message ID:
20050503193945.GA47936@aut.dyndns.org
Because I want to embed PGE in Pugs, I end up embedding the
entire libparrot. :-)

As of two hours ago, if you set the PUGS_EMBED environment
variable to "parrot" and run perl Makefile.PL, Pugs will
build and link against Parrot, and provide a require_parrot()
primitive for you.  JIT works as one owuld expecte, too.

Jeff Horwitz (of mod_parrot and more recently, mod_pugs fame)
is now hacking away on hooking Pugs's IMC generator with
the embedded Parrot, so we can have on-the-fly compilation
without the need to call external "pugscc".

In other news, the Grin intermediate language used by JHC
Haskell compiler looks very promising:

    http://repetae.net/john/computer/jhc/jhc.html

Jhc's Grin -> C compiler is only some 300 lines long, and
unlike GHC, it does not link against a runtime system (RTS),
so it should be relatively straightforward to make a
Grin -> Parrot compiler -- or even a Grin -> Perl 6 compiler.

Once that happens, we can then recompile Pugs with it, and
finish the circle of bootstrapping.  There are many other
bootstrapping routes, but this one looks interesting. :-)

Thanks,
/Autrijus/