develooper Front page | perl.perl6.compiler | Postings from February 2005

Tests for pugs

From:
Autrijus Tang
Date:
February 18, 2005 09:15
Subject:
Tests for pugs
Message ID:
20050218171256.GD5674@aut.dyndns.org
Hi fellow Pugs committers (and would-be committers).  This is a friendly
message from your self-elected project leader. :)

I'm very glad of your help in hacking pugs, particularly in filling
out unit tests under t/.  As it will likely require some coordination,
I think perl6-compiler is the correct list for us to coodinate.

So, if you had not done so, please subscribe p6c by sending a mail to:

    perl6-compiler-subscribe@perl.org

So, here is some ideas in the layout of t/.  Alin has a wonderful idea
of forward-porting Perl5's unit test suite, starting from base/ and op/,
to our t/ directory:

    http://svn.openfoundry.org/pugs/t/

As the scope of work is large, and for reducing duplicated works, I
encourage people who want to help to announce your intent (i.e. what
subdirs will you be working on) on the perl6-compiler list.  It's not
neccessary to do so, though, as long as you commit fast enough. :-)

Other people who would like to help is encouraged to announce the
intent on this list, in a similar fashion; I'd be glad to hand out
subversion committer bits -- just drop me a line or find me on
irc.perl.org #perl.

Also, ycheng has a good idea of converting Synopsis as "working specs",
by adding unit test directly into the .pod files.  To that end, I'm
trying to set up svk mirrors from here:

    http://cvs.perl.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/perl6/doc/design/syn/

Into pugs/t/Synopsis/S01.pod, and then use them directly as unit tests,
eventually subsuming the existing 02atoms.t and 06sub.t.  Before that
is done, though, hacking on the current synopsis-based tests is still
very welcome.

Another change I'll make tomorrow is to run the test harness using:

    pugs -MTest::More

So we'll have access to is(), ok() and other primitives.  I'll write
more on the list when that part is ready.

Again, I'd like to thank you for your willingness to help.  :)

Thanks,
/Autrijus/