develooper Front page | perl.perl6.announce | Postings from February 2014

Parrot 6.1.0 "Black-collared Lovebird" released

Reini Urban
February 18, 2014 21:56
Parrot 6.1.0 "Black-collared Lovebird" released
Message ID:
On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 6.1.0, also known
as "Black-collared Lovebird".  Parrot ( is a
virtual machine aimed
at running all dynamic languages.

Parrot 6.1.0 is available on Parrot's FTP site
(, or by following the
download instructions at  For those who would like
to develop on Parrot, or help develop Parrot itself, we recommend using Git to
retrieve the source code to get the latest and best Parrot code.

Parrot 6.1.0 News:
    - Build
        + Improve auto::libffi probe with -fstack-protector-all or
          -fstack-protector-strong with recent GCC and OpenBSD's toolchains
    - Documentation
        + Replace perldoc by a new [GH #1028, #973,
#520], which fixes
          problems with 'sudo make install' generated ops pods as root.

        - Latest nqp does not support the new packfile API yet,
replacing EvalPMC.
        - This release of Parrot fails to build out-of-the-box under Bison 3,
          e.g. on Fedora 20. For workarounds see

The SHA256 message digests for the downloadable tarballs are:

Many thanks to all our contributors for making this possible, and our sponsors
for supporting this project. Esp. cPanel for the time and Erin Schoenhals for
sponsoring her old Macbook G4 powerpc to update the native_pbc's.
I've also updated all the missing old documentations on
Our next scheduled release is 18 Mar 2014.