develooper Front page | perl.perl6.announce | Postings from December 2012

Parrot 4.11.0 "All together - Happy Birthday Lovebird" Released!

Reini Urban
December 19, 2012 01:49
Parrot 4.11.0 "All together - Happy Birthday Lovebird" Released!
Message ID:
On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 4.11.0, also known
as "All together - Happy Birthday Lovebird".
Parrot ( is a virtual machine aimed at running all
dynamic languages.

Parrot 4.11.0 is available on Parrot's FTP site
or by following the download instructions at
For those who would like to develop on Parrot, or help develop Parrot
itself, we recommend using
Git to retrieve the source code to get the latest and best Parrot code.

Threads are considered experimental. There are a known GC bugs when
running large threads
on darwin and sometimes linux. There are no known problems when
running large single-threaded programs.
Reading from shared variables is transparent, writing must be done via
scheduled updater subs
on the owner thread.
You can use the API without using native OS threads by configuring

Parrot 4.11.0 News:
    - Core
        + Parrot now supports fast and lightweight OS threads, based
on Nat Tucks's
          initial GSoC work on green threads and then Stefan Seifert's extension
          to true parallel OS threads as hybrid threads.
        + New parrot cmdline option --numthreads
        + Export new dynpmc_class_<ClassName> types [GH #870].
        + Changed core_ops library format and ops2c to contain the
          not the parrot version triple. Removed the duplicate
          cpp definition in include/parrot/oplib/core_ops.h, use only
          PARROT_CORE_OPLIB_INIT from config.h
        + Store PBC_MAJOR and PBC_MINOR in the config hash, stored by
        + Added getprotobyname method to the Socket PMC
    - Documentation
        + Marked unused API parameters
        + Install man pages for all binaries
    - Languages
        + nqp-rx tests updated from perl6/nqp-rx.git, and enabled to
run on make test
    - Platforms
        + More compilation fixes on Windows without working mt.exe or
          enable smoking without git binary.
    - Tools
        + Re-enabled pbc_dump -h --header-only
        + Improved pmc2c, added more UNUSED(arg) macros [GH #836].
Parrot is now almost
          -Wunused-parameters safe.
    - Tests
        + failing Pod::Simple pod_todo.t tests are now skipped
        + added nqp-rx tests
        + removed duplicate ext/nqp-rx/t/p6regex tests
        + rewrote and enabled native_pbc tests [GH #394],
          renamed native_pbc testfiles

The SHA256 message digests for the downloadable tarballs are:

Many thanks to all our contributors for making this possible, and our sponsors
for supporting this project.  Our next supported release is 15 January 2013.

Reini Urban Perl Programming lists via nntp and http.