develooper Front page | perl.perl6.announce | Postings from April 2008

Parrot 0.6.1 "Bird of Paradise" Released

From:
jerry gay
Date:
April 15, 2008 13:46
Subject:
Parrot 0.6.1 "Bird of Paradise" Released
Message ID:
1d9a3f400804151255g3c05be1bnf8a358869f9afab2@mail.gmail.com
Aloha!

On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 0.6.1
"Bird of Paradise." Parrot (http://parrotcode.org/) is a virtual machine aimed
at running all dynamic languages.

Parrot 0.6.1 can be obtained via CPAN (soon), or follow the
download instructions at http://parrotcode.org/source.html.
For those who would like to develop on Parrot, or help develop
Parrot itself, we recommend using Subversion or SVK on the
source code repository to get the latest and best Parrot code.

Parrot 0.6.1 News:
- Specification
  + drafted pdd29_compiler_tools.pod
  + updated pdd28_character_sets.pod draft
  + updated pdd19_pir.pod draft
- Languages
  + c99: added independent C pre-processor
  + HQ9+: reimplemented with PCT
  + Lua:
    . reimplementation with PCT, using PAST and POST
    . behavior aligned wih 5.1.3
  + Rakudo:
    . implemented basic I/O, including '$*IN', '$*OUT', '$*ERR', 'prefix:='
    . implemented simple typing and runtime type checking
    . added basic multi-method dispatch
    . expanded named argument handling, including Pair and colonpairs
    . added 'Whatever' and 'Capture' classes
    . implemented 'handles' trait verb
    . added 'loop' statement
    . implemented 'given', 'when', 'for', 'while', 'until' statement modifiers
    . implemented Hash methods '.keys' and '.values'
    . fixed bug to get '.WHAT' working correctly
    . initial implementation of 'eval'
- Compilers
  + NQP:
    . created a bootstrapped build, see 'make boot'
    . added 'infix:<', 'infix:<=', 'infix:>', 'infix:>=' relational operators
    . added 'postfix:++', 'postfix:--' operators
  + PCT:
    . added methods specifying default behaviors in PAST, reducing repeated code
    . improved symbol table lookup
  + PGE:
    . removed deprecated code including: P6Regex, P6Grammar, PAST-pm
- Miscellaneous
  + notable speedups during compilation and execution of parrot and HLLs
  + pdb (the parrot debugger) can now catch parrot exceptions
  + better detection of glibc and gettext during configuration
  + various bugfixes, code cleanups, deprecations, and coding standard fixes

Mahalo to all our contributors for making this possible, and our
sponsors for supporting this project.

Enjoy!
~jerry