develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2017

/xx

From:
Abigail
Date:
June 21, 2017 20:40
Subject:
/xx
Message ID:
20170621204053.GA15592@almanda.fritz.box

Perl 5.26.0 introduced /xx, to allow for spaces inside bracketed
character classes to be ignored. That's great.

While preparing for my talk at YAPC::NA about character classes,
I realized that:

                b]/xx;

That is, while /xx ignores spaces and tabs, it does not ignore
newlines. That's not so great. It makes Damian and me sad.

There may be a good reason why this is done this way, but I may
have missed it (or forgotten about it).

Is it too late to change the behavour of /xx so it ignores the
same whitespace as /x? Or do we have to go to /xxx?

Abigail