develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2017

Perl 5.24.1 is now available!

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
January 14, 2017 20:33
Subject:
Perl 5.24.1 is now available!
Message ID:
CADED=K7v5=SB+=HRcjds79w5zzJ2nns9b9i5MsZfX+FO7q4yzw@mail.gmail.com
  The Bellman looked uffish, and wrinkled his brow.
    'If only you'd spoken before!
  It's excessively awkward to mention it now,
    With the Snark, so to speak, at the door!

  'We should all of us grieve, as you well may believe,
    If you never were met with again -
  But surely, my man, when the voyage began,
    You might have suggested it then?

  'It's excessively awkward to mention it now -
    As I think I've already remarked.'
  And the man they called 'Hi!' replied, with a sigh,
    'I informed you the day we embarked.

  'You may charge me with murder - or want of sense -
    (We are all of us weak at times):
  But the slightest approach to a false pretence
    Was never among my crimes!

  'I said it in Hebrew - I said it in Dutch -
    I said it in German and Greek:
  But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
    That English is what you speak!'

  ''Tis a pitiful tale,' said the Bellman, whose face
    Had grown longer at every word:
  'But, now that you've stated the whole of your case,
    More debate would be simply absurd.

  'The rest of my speech' (he exclaimed to his men)
    'You shall hear when I've leisure to speak it.
  But the Snark is at hand, let me tell you again!
    'Tis your glorious duty to seek it!

    -- Lewis Carroll [1], "The Hunting of the Snark", Fit 4: The Hunting

We are relieved to announce version 24.1, the first maintenance release
of version 24 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.24.1 from your favourite CPAN
mirror or find it at:

  https://metacpan.org/release/SHAY/perl-5.24.1/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

  19b218bbc3a63a8408ed56b93928fd9a4c1b5c83  perl-5.24.1.tar.gz
  d43ac3d39686462f86eed35b3c298ace74f1ffa0  perl-5.24.1.tar.bz2
  5bec25d8821b81a5939ee220997f4c8ab1c13e31  perl-5.24.1.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located
in the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web.

Perl 5.24.1 represents approximately 8 months of development since Perl
5.24.0 and contains approximately 8,100 lines of changes across 240
files from 18 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there
were approximately 2,200 lines of changes to 170 .pm, .t, .c and .h
files.

Perl continues to flourish into its third decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers.  The following people are known to
have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.24.1:

Aaron Crane, Alex Vandiver, Aristotle Pagaltzis, Chad Granum, Chris
'BinGOs' Williams, Craig A. Berry, Father Chrysostomos, James E Keenan,
Jarkko Hietaniemi, Karen Etheridge, Leon Timmermans, Matthew Horsfall,
Ricardo Signes, Sawyer X, S├ębastien Aperghis-Tramoni, Stevan Little,
Steve Hay, Tony Cook.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history.  In particular, it does not
include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
modules included in Perl's core.  We're grateful to the entire CPAN
community for helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors,
please see the F<AUTHORS> file in the Perl source distribution.

The next major stable release of Perl 5, version 26.0, should appear in
May 2017, with version 27.0 released around the same time.

Steve Hay

[1] Real name Charles Dodgson, who died this day, January 14th, in 1898.