develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2016

Re: The Great Pumpkin

From:
Shlomi Fish
Date:
April 25, 2016 15:55
Re: The Great Pumpkin
Message ID:
20160425185509.77a1b736@telaviv1.shlomifish.org
Hi all,

just an off-topic nitpick.

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 08:00:20 -0400
Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> * Jesse Vincent <jesse@fsck.com> [2011-10-31T18:28:09]
> > Two years ago today, I picked up the patch pumpkin.  It feels like
> > a lifetime ago.
>
> Jesse held the pumpkin for two years.  I have squared that, to four.  The
> tradition established, the next pumpking will do the job for sixteen years.
> They will fly by, trust us!

Squaring two years does not give one four years , but instead four
years-squared (or year^2 or year**2 or year²). Since a year is about
3.15 * 10**7 seconds then a year squared would be about 9.9225 * 10**14
seconds-squared . Time squared is not a measurement of time, but may sometimes
be useful because in physics for example, acceleration is measured in
metres-per-second-squared (or in general distance divided by time squared), see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration .

What you can do is divide two years by a year to get simply a plain "2"
number, square that and multiply again by a year, but you'll get a different
result if you divide the time duration by a different unit of time (e.g: a day
or a second).

Anyway, cheers, and hope you have a happy Passover in case you celebrate it,
and whose duration squared lasts for one week squared or 49 squared days.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish [Squared]

--
Shlomi Fish

Laziness will bring the downfall of mankind, but I can’t be arsed to do
anything about it.