develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2016

Configure: libswanted=nm suddenly harmful

Andreas Koenig
January 2, 2016 20:49
Configure: libswanted=nm suddenly harmful
Message ID:
These days I had to debug an unpleasent surprise that I could track down
to the member "nm" in the variable libswanted in Configure.

I went through the git history of Configure and found it was alread
there in 1994 (2304df62caa7d9be70e8b8bcdb454e139c9c103d):

 : +libswanted="net socket nsl inet nm sdbm gdbm ndbm dbm malloc dl dld sun m c_s posix cposix ndir dir ucb bsd BSD PW x"

20 years later the two-letter word gets a new life:

 : # aptitude show libnm-dev
 : Package: libnm-dev
 : New: yes
 : State: installed
 : Automatically installed: yes
 : Multi-Arch: same
 : Version: 1.0.10-1
 :  NetworkManager is a system network service that manages your network devices
 :  and connections, attempting to keep active network connectivity when available.
 :  It manages ethernet, WiFi, mobile broadband (WWAN), and PPPoE devices, and
 :  provides VPN integration with a variety of different VPN services.
 : Homepage:

A week ago in a short moment of inattention this beast got installed on
my smoker. From that day on all my perls were built with:

 : perllibs=-lpthread -lnsl -lnm -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc

That was the only difference, the -lnm resulting from the fact that I
now had a libnm-dev package installed. The effect was so tiny that it
took me a while to notice it. All tests passed but IPC-Run-0.94 had a
few tests that sudenly failed:

Meanwhile I have killed all my smokers and am restarting with a new
recipe that specifies libswanted on the comman line. But we shoul fix
this at the root to spare others the same trouble.

Ideas how to deal with it:

1) remove nm from the list and force others who want to use their own
   nm to add it in their hints file
2) follow the example of hints/ to remove it for linux
3) introduce an option like vetolibs so that the enduser can easily
   specify "nm" as not welcome?
4) Anything else?