Apologies and good news

Dennis Kaarsemaker
August 9, 2013 19:21
Apologies and good news
Message ID:
Porters, CPAN testers,

As you're aware, the servers I'm maintaining for various perl purposes
have been having troubles for quite a while now. After a failed hardware
upgrade, several constraints have kept that setup in a bad shape and
with no expansion possibilities since March.

For this I can only apologize. It's not what was promised and not the
level of service you deserve. I'm sorry it took so long to get this

But now the good news: it's fixed. Another hardware upgrade (so you're
now no longer running on hardware from 2010-2011 but current hardware)
has solved the network issues and there are 8 shiny new servers ready to
roll. In fact, dromedary is already living the good life as one such

With the hardware issues solved, everything can now actually move
forward[*]. The plan is roughly as follows:

= Finish the cpantesters machine (if the cpantesters still want it and
  haven't been put off by the looooong delay)
= Complete the hardware redundancy for
  - An extra gateway will be built
  - Camel will turn into a set of redundant KVM instances
  - Some non-perl kvms used by Booking will move
  - Merijn's perl collection will magically reappear on dromedary
= Decommission old servers that are still running (camel, kvm hosts)
  - llama comes back at this point
= Build new jenkins infrastructure
  - Adding 3 extra KVM hosts
  - Adding lots of OS'es
  - Maybe replace jenkins with something that integrates better with
    perl's build/test process.

I'm not going to put a timetable to this. Though I can say that the
cpantesters machine can be used right now. Dave, please contact me on
IRC if you're still interested and we can set up the remaining needed

[*] Even though work sponsors the hardware and hosting, I do the
   maintenance as volunteer work in my own time. Which is not a problem
   unless it includes visiting a datacenter. It's rather hard in my
   current position to schedule some time to do this.
Dennis Kaarsemaker, Systems Architect
Herengracht 597, 1017 CE Amsterdam
Tel external +31 (0) 20 715 3409
Tel internal (7207) 3409