Things that have been deprecated for a long time

Ed Avis
July 3, 2013 14:03
Things that have been deprecated for a long time
Message ID:
With the recent discussion about deprecation and removal of bare <<, I went
to look for other dusty corners of perl which have been marked as
'deprecated' for many years but are still in the language.  I took 5.10.0
as the base version and grepped.

I have excluded from the list below deprecations affecting XS code or
perl internals, or core modules.

my $x if 0;                 # since 5.9.1

defined(@x) and defined(%h) # since 5.6.1 or earlier

sub foo {} do foo(1,2)      # since 5.10 or earlier

chdir('')                   # since 5.10 or earlier

%h->{a} and @a->[5]         # since 5.7.2; code committed 2001-05-08

?PATTERN?                   # since 5.10 or earlier

$[ = 5;                     # since 5.10 or earlier

dump                        # since 5.8

Unrecognized escape \8      # since 5.8

sub foo (@bar) {}           # since 5.8

::DESTROY                   # code committed 2002-03-16

use UNIVERSAL;              # since 5.004_02

If the perl5-porters wish it, I can file RT bugs for these, together or

In my experience the first two constructs still regularly appear in
beginner code, and for that reason it would be good to finally disallow

Ed Avis <>