Removing old utilities

Leon Timmermans
June 27, 2013 14:01
Removing old utilities
Message ID:
Perl currently ships with some utilities that are neither associated
with a dual-life distribution, nor seem sufficiently useful to the
general public. I suggest moving all of these to separate CPAN
distributions (and/or not installed if applicable):

s2p: sed to perl. An essential tool for perl 1, but what was the last
time you used it?
a2p: awk to perl. Larry considered this so essential he postponed
releasing perl 1 until he had this working. It's written in C + yacc
and has had fairly little maintenance in recent years, despite known
find2perl: "translate find command lines to Perl code", again, who uses it? Why?

h2xs: "h2xs converts C header files into XS modules", most users seem
to ignore most of the functionality and use it as a module generation
tool with the crappiest defaults ever. I'd consider it a liability
more than an asset
c2ph: h2xs' predecessor, written back in 1991 and never even upgraded
from perl 4 to perl 5,
h2ph: Another h2xs predecessor, but at least this one was converted to
perl 5. It could actually be useful it someone had ever bothered to
make it compatible with CPAN.
enc2xs: A vital tool to building perl itself, but otherwise only
needed when authoring Encode extensions. This doesn't need to be
installed for normal end-users.
libnetcfg: Why do we even have that? Not even libnet has that AFAICT…
pl2pm: "Rough tool to translate Perl4 .pl files to Perl5 .pm modules."
Surely we need that on perl 5.20.