Perl 5.18 and Regexp::Grammars

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
June 27, 2013 03:25
Subject:
Perl 5.18 and Regexp::Grammars
Message ID:
20130627032449.GA17597@cancer.codesimply.com

In February, we got a report that Regexp::Grammars had been broken for some
time.  It was marked as a blocker for 5.18.0.  As 5.18.0 got closer, it was one
of the tickets that I hounded the list about.  The problem was diagnosed and
addressed in the abstract.

You can read the details on the ticket, here:

  https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=116823

The belief was that the late bugfix to perl would enable Regexp::Grammars to be
mended to work under 5.18.0, even though it would not allow it to work
unaltered.  At the time, I believe I thought Damian was in the loop on this,
but I now believe that this was not true.

Yesterday, Damian Conway released a new version with a lengthy notice about how
the module cannot be mended to work under 5.18.0.  You can read it here:

  https://metacpan.org/source/DCONWAY/Regexp-Grammars-1.030/lib/Regexp/Grammars.pm#L16

I hope it turns out that there is a way to repair R::G for 5.18.0.  I've sent
Damian an email about this yesterday, and I'm copying him on this one.
Hopefully we can begin a dialog about the specific problems and how they might
be addressed.

--
rjbs