the mystery of the undef upstreams

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
June 27, 2013 03:08
Subject:
the mystery of the undef upstreams
Message ID:
20130627030826.GA17525@cancer.codesimply.com

Porting/Maintainers.pl is a funny file.  It's the source of many useful data,
like whether a dist is upstream-cpan or upstream-blead, and how upstream-cpan
dists have been customized when merged into core, and so on.

It's also got stuff like, "this is the person who is on point for such and such
pod file."

I'd like to clean it up in two ways:

1. determine the upstream for undecided dists
2. drop the "person on the spot" listing for things where it's not useful

For example:

1. the upstream of parent (the dist with parent.pm) is undef; it should
   probably be CPAN
2. I can't see a reason that we list Shawn Moore at "the guy" for
   perldtrace.pod; git blame will tell us who did the work, and beyond that...
   I don't get it

Here's a rough pass:

* DISTS TO CLASSIFY:

  # LIKELY "blead"

  Devel::PPPort
  version
  VMS::DCLsym (?)
  VMS::Studio (?)
  XSLoader

  # LIKELY "cpan"

  ExtUtils::Constant
  File-Path
  IO-Zlib
  libnet
  parent
  PerlIO::via::QuotedPrint
  Pod-Escapes
  s2p[1]
  Term-Cap
  Text-ParseWords
  Time-Piece[2]

  # rjbs doesn't want to guess

  encoding::warnings

  1 - s2p isn't dual life at all, but we'll want to dual-life it to eject it ;)

  2 - Time-Piece might be better off becoming upstream-blead, since all its
      patches are coming from blead, for some time now

* THINGS TO REMOVE:

  mad
  perlebcdic
  perlpacktut