I made t/podcheck.t less sensitive and fixed various pod issues

From:
David Golden
Date:
May 24, 2013 00:21
Subject:
I made t/podcheck.t less sensitive and fixed various pod issues
Message ID:
CAOeq1c_K_V2su4XW6f88WG0tAgoCi1iqJt8Cp+Ofztnst8=_4A@mail.gmail.com
I have just pushed a series of commits to blead that reduce the number
of "false positives" thrown by t/podcheck.t and fix most of the known
pod issues:

  2466537 Try to avoid nesting F<$F<...>> in generated Config.pm
  3d6c5fe fix various podcheck nits
  1dcc3c1 fix various Pod line length warnings
  f5bfcfd help t/podcheck.t skip duplicate pod in utils
  b5902b6 stop t/podcheck.t from flagging blockquotes
  f26da01 Make t/podcheck.t less sensitive

The pod checker got these major changes:

* maximum verbatim line length is now 100 instead of 79
* removed suggestions that C<> should be L<> or F<> instead
* =over / =back "blockquotes" are now allowed

FWIW, I tested 90 and 100 character line limits and the latter was the
point where the vast majority of known issues went away.

With those changes, some other bug fixes, and some Pod cleanup, the
list of "known pod issues" has dropped from 155 or so down to about 15
-- all of which are "verbatim longer than 100".

None of them are impossible to fix, but they would take more than just
splitting a line to do so.  Anyone motivated enough is welcome to give
it a try.

To be clear, I think the more aggressive pod linting -- particularly
the C<> suggestions -- could still be done periodically by those
interested in actually fixing (not just flagging) such issues, because
I think they are ultimately good suggestions.

That said, I feel very strongly that style linting along those lines
should *not* cause test failures that interrupt ongoing development,
which is why I made the changes described above.

David

--
David Golden <xdg@xdg.me>
Twitter/IRC: @xdg