RFC: Removing from the core distribution

Ricardo Signes
May 23, 2013 23:51
RFC: Removing from the core distribution
Message ID:

I think it's time to seriously consider removing from the core
distribution.  It is no longer what I'd point *anyone* at for writing *any*
sort of web code.  It is in the core, as far as I know, because once it was the
state of the art, and a major reason for many people to use the language.  I
don't think either is true now.  Finally, if you need CGI, it's easy to install
after installing perl, just like everything else we've dropped from the core

In the past two years, all my interactions with have been to fix bugs or
send pull requests to quiet it from making noise in the core.  I expect others
here have had the same experience.

Are there any arguments out there to compel me to feel otherwise about this?