RFC: Deprecating Module::Build

From:
David Golden
Date:
May 22, 2013 17:45
RFC: Deprecating Module::Build
Message ID:
CAOeq1c815x4HuLaAp+f0OSnk3ZtzHCA=fsALY+gyPZhuxfdqtw@mail.gmail.com
I propose deprecating Module::Build from core in 5.19 and removing it in 5.21.

My rationale:

* Module::Build has been in life-support maintainance for a couple
years now (thank you leont for taking up that awful task)

* CPAN clients have supported configure_requires to bootstrap a build
tool since Perl 5.10.1 almost a decade ago

* CPAN.pm has support for auto-detecting an undeclared dependency on
Module::Build and installing it when needed [1]

While many people still use M::B for their modules, it does not need
to be in core for CPAN modules to depend on it.  Module::Build can be
removed from core and CPAN clients will install it on demand.

Given that it is buggy, complex and nearly unmaintained, I don't think
the core should implicitly be promising support for it.  The fewer
modules in core, the less work for core maintainers.

(Personally, I hope the development of a Build.PL specification [2]
will encourage new, better successors anyway.)

If you disagree, now is the time to speak up.  Ideally, if you care
enough about keeping Module::Build in core, you'll also volunteer to
take over active maintenance for it, right?  :-)

David

[1] detection of undeclared M::B dependency was buggy, which implies
it hasn't been an issue in years anyway. I've sent a pull request to
fix it just in case.

[2] https://github.com/Perl-Toolchain-Gang/cpan-api-buildpl

--
David Golden <xdg@xdg.me>