[perl #117327] Sequence (?#...) not recognized in regex

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
May 1, 2013 00:27
Subject:
[perl #117327] Sequence (?#...) not recognized in regex
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-28177-1367368026-1802.117327-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Apr 30 16:09:35 2013, rjbs wrote:
> (c) the "all things in moderation" option
>
> We leave things exactly as they are in blead, post-50485807, but alter
> the emitted error to say
> "you can't put space where you put it."  This puts any likely
> breakage's starting point back in
> January (before the user-visible change freeze), and we move to option
> (a) in 5.19.0.  There are
> two down sides, here:  first, we're adding a new syntax error where
> there wasn't one without
> warning; secondly, we're introducing inconsistency.  The inconsistency
> doesn't bother me *as
> long as we fix it ASAP*.  This is like "we fixed a bunch of parts of a
> bug, and will continue to fix
> its other parts."  This kind of half-fix is something I am expressly
> okay with, as we're doing
> timeboxed releases.

This is the only option I really don’t like.  I have a module that
converts between flavours of regular expressions, and tests to make sure
that Perl-specific extensions are passed through unchanged.  (These
tests are apparently more exhaustive than Perl’s own test suite. :-)  I
am not opposed to tweaking the tests to expect different results if $]
>= 5.017 or 5.019.  But having to have different version checks for
different constructs in the same category (instead of a single if block)
is rather annoying, don’t you think?

--

Father Chrysostomos

---