Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
February 6, 2013 18:45
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
20130206184527.GA19293@cancer.codesimply.com

This topic has come up many times in the past few years.  It is generally in
the form "let's call the next one Perl 7" or "let's hide the 5 and call it
version 18" and sometimes "Perl $Year."

These all say, "Perl is the language, and Perl 6 is something irrelevant."
This is specifically in contradiction to Larry, who has *specifically* and
*repeatedly* addressed this point in keynotes and other public presentations.

We can't call it "Perl {$x>5}" without contradicting Larry, and if some folks
are interested in organizing a committee to badger Larry *even more* about this
issue, the most I can really do is say that this isn't the place to do organize
such a committee.  I'd also like to say that this has been addressed so many
times that further pressing of the issue seems inappropriate.

Furthermore, were Perl 7 to be released (secretly known to be Perl 5.20.0),
what would the outcome be?  It would gain attention, and people would say,
"Wow, a big new release of Perl?  What's new?  Oh.  Not very much!  Ho hum."
It gets us attention and then squanders it, because it isn't able to deliver on
"all the amazing cool new stuff."  What's amazing and cool since 5.8?  Many
excellent features ranging from "small but very handy" to "significant and
useful in some circumstances."  I am delighted to have s///r and lexical subs
and (soon) subroutine signatures, but if the notion is that people think
nothing has happened in 10 years, and the answer they get is those, I think we
will appear desperate rather than vibrant.

--
rjbs