Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
Peter Rabbitson
Date:
February 6, 2013 15:43
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
20130206154335.GB14692@rabbit.us
On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 03:38:04PM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 04:22:17PM +0100, Ovid wrote:
>
> > Perception matters and this could be (to the outside world) the single
> > biggest shakeup to Perl in years.
>
> If nothing changes but the version number, then how does one avoid this
> story being reported as "putting lipstick on a pig"?
>
> In that, it doesn't solve the underlying flaws of Perl 5:
>
> * the language doesn't have features that people desire (or say that they
>   desire)
> * the internals are too complex and inflexible to permit those features to
>   be added
>
> We don't actually have anything new to offer.
> And that's going to be exposed very quickly.

The problem (as I see it) is that while *we as an echo chamber* don't
have anything new to offer compared to 5.10 (roughly speaking), the
wider world never looked past 5.6. This is an effort to fix that (and
only that). Did linux 3.0 have anything new to offer? We can even "blame
Linus" for the reasoning behind such a jump.