develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2013

Re: module deprecations for 5.18

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
January 17, 2013 18:46
Re: module deprecations for 5.18
Message ID:
20130117184611.GY5653@plum.flirble.org
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:18:01PM -0600, Todd Rinaldo wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2013, at 1:26 PM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 01:19:25PM -0600, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
> >
> >> I'm for a leaner core. At the same time, though, I'm totally ok with modules living in core. My beef is that I have no way to specify during Configure that I don't want to install dual lifeed modules as part of the install. This would be a bigger win IMO than just booting them from core all together.
> >
> > I think that all you'd need to change to do this are to edit installperl
> > and installman, to add a flag to suppress installation of anything dual life.
> > Then run these manually rather than using 'make install'
> >
> > However, %Config::Config would not be telling the truth about what modules
> > were actually installed. Until, of course, you installed them yourself.
> >
> > Which would be *tricky*, as you won't have a toolchain, as that's dual life.
> >
> > I'd suggest starting by hacking installperl, and then figure out how to
> > install the toolchain to your shorn perl.
>
> Whatever it is, I would want it to be a standard part of core and not so much a hack. I already hack around deprecated modules by deleting them after they install.

I meant it in the sense of, "if you're interested in prototyping this, I'd
start there". I'm not averse to the idea of this going into the core - after
all, it's not like it can be done as a module on CPAN.

But I'm curious whether it's relatively simple to do, or turns out to be
incredibly tricky to get the toolchain to bootstrap itself onto an install
that doesn't have any dual life modules in it. If it's *too* tricky, then
it's not going to get in. But it's not possible to assess the cost/benefit
without a prototype.

> Here's another proposal: Make a Configure option to NOT install deprecated modules. Default it to install them. Then get the distro maintainers to start using the feature. You could probably shake out many issues by doing so. At the least, I promise to give feedback.

This would certainly is a viable idea. A CPAN smoker with all the modules
already evicted should rapidly discover who is missing what. (Provided the
modules aren't part of the CPAN smoker toolchain)

Is it obvious to you how to implement it? It's not clear to me that there's an
obvious best way.

Nicholas Clark