develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2013

module deprecations for 5.18

Ricardo Signes
January 9, 2013 19:21
module deprecations for 5.18
Message ID:

We're cruising steadily toward spring, and that means 5.18.0.  We should really
get things deprecated that we're going to deprecate.

Here is my proposed list:

  * Archive::Extract
  * Locale::Maketext::Simple
  * Log::Message
  * Log::Message::Simple
  * Module::Pluggable
  * Object::Accessor
  * Params::Check
  * Pod::LaTeX
  * Term::UI

This is in part drawn from Sawyer's message <> and
subsequent discussion.  Specifically, it gives reprieve to his listed modules
File::Fetch, IPC::Cmd, Module::Load, and Module::Loaded.

It would be nice to replace Module::Load with Module::Runtime.  That would mean
coring Module::Runtime and deprecating Module::Load.  I'm open to discussion on
that front, for sure.

Pod::LaTeX depends on Pod::Parser, which we're hoping to get out of core.  We
should have deprecated it in 5.15, but failed to.