Consider Forbidding Developer Releases in Production Perls

Jeffrey Thalhammer
October 21, 2012 22:02
Consider Forbidding Developer Releases in Production Perls
Message ID:
Hi y'all-

Miyagawa and I are both wrestling[1,2,3] with fallout from the fact that perl 5.16.x ships with a developer version of ExtUtils::MakeMaker (6.63_02 to be precise) and a newer production version of EUMM still hasn't been released to CPAN.

I know it is hard to herd all the module authors, but it seems wrong to ship a production perl with non-production modules.  The tool chain isn't especially good at coping with developer versions, and it just feels icky to begin with.

So I humbly suggest that p5p adopt a policy of shipping production perls with production modules only.  What say you?