Consider Forbidding Developer Releases in Production Perls

From:
Jeffrey Thalhammer
Date:
October 21, 2012 22:02
Subject:
Consider Forbidding Developer Releases in Production Perls
Message ID:
9E4EAE00-98EF-49BD-86AF-BB28047B7E96@imaginative-software.com
Hi y'all-

Miyagawa and I are both wrestling[1,2,3] with fallout from the fact that perl 5.16.x ships with a developer version of ExtUtils::MakeMaker (6.63_02 to be precise) and a newer production version of EUMM still hasn't been released to CPAN.

I know it is hard to herd all the module authors, but it seems wrong to ship a production perl with non-production modules.  The tool chain isn't especially good at coping with developer versions, and it just feels icky to begin with.

So I humbly suggest that p5p adopt a policy of shipping production perls with production modules only.  What say you?

-Jeff

[1] http://weblog.bulknews.net/post/33905644998/makemaker-dev-releases-perl-5-16-and-carton
[2] https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=78943
[3] https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=80174