Making PerlIOStdio_invalidate_fileno() less invasive on FreeBSD..

From:
John Baldwin
Date:
October 11, 2012 00:45
Subject:
Making PerlIOStdio_invalidate_fileno() less invasive on FreeBSD..
Message ID:
201210101404.39849.jhb@freebsd.org
I am working on the stdio bits in FreeBSD's libc, and specifically on
expanding the internal file descriptor field from a short to an int.  To limit
the need for future compatiblity shims, I am attempting to make the _file
member private to the implementation.  PerlIOStdio_invalidate_fileno() breaks
that for me though since it reaches inside stdio and accesses an internal
member (_file) directly.

I would like to insulate Perl from the internals of FILE going forward and
wanted your input on how best to do that.  One option would be to change the
FreeBSD code to just fail the invalidate function with 0 (as Solaris does) and
rely on the calling code to dup() the file descriptor.  Another option might
be for FreeBSD to add a new 'finvalidate()' or 'fclaimfd()' or some other
function that basically sets _file to -1, but lives in libc itself rather than
in Perl binaries.  I'm sure there are other options as well.  Do you folks
have a preference?

--
John Baldwin