[Round 2] Taking CPANPLUS out of core

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
September 30, 2012 06:29
Subject:
[Round 2] Taking CPANPLUS out of core
Message ID:
50684941.2050601@gmail.com
Hi,

this is the second round of deliberations on the subject of CPANPLUS.
There were many comments in the original thread and as usual the
discussion also spiraled into several sub-threads on different topics. I
don't want to miss either and I don't want the subject to get stale so
I've starting a new thread with the summaries I've gathered. I hope
that's okay.

CPAN.pm vs. CPANPLUS on VMS:
A raised issue was that CPAN.pm doesn't work right on VMS, which is why
CPANPLUS is used. Is CPAN.pm really broken on VMS? If so, is it working
enough to install CPANPLUS?

Here are the comments about specific modules on the original list:
* Module::Pluggable: cannot be removed since B::Lint uses it. Thanks to
Nicholas Clark for reminding us of this.
* File::Fetch: David Golden suggested keeping it since it solves the
"opening URIs in Perl" in core. This relates to the thread on having
open() handle URIs as well.
* Module::Load: suggested for inclusion in core to having module
requiring done correctly. Jesse Luehrs suggested using Module::Runtime
instead. Vincent Pit suggested copying the better parts of
Module::Runtime into Module::Load.
* Module::Loaded (along with Module::Load::Conditional): suggested for
inclusion by David Golden as a nice core API for checking loaded modules
since people don't do it correctly when messing with %INC, etc.
* IPC::Cmd: suggested for inclusion. It was also noted to perhaps
replace it with IPC::Run but IPC::Run was determined not as reliable as
IPC::Cmd on Win32 by BinGOs.

Some other issues that were raised and probably deserve their own thread
or RT:
* Fix documentation on "require $module; 1" and "unlink $file" since
they pose possible security risks. Mentioned by chromatic, Leon
Timmermans and Tom Christiansen.
* Perhaps IPC::Run could be removed as an optional prereq from IPC::Cmd,
by BinGOs and David Golden.

The entire list of modules, for reference:
* File::Fetch - might keep
* Term::UI
* Object::Accessor
* Log::Message
* Log::Message::Simple
* Locale::Maketext::Simple
* Archive::Extract
* Params::Check
* Module::Load - might keep or might be replaced with Module::Runtime
* Module::Load::Conditional - might keep
* Module::Loaded - might keep
* IPC::Cmd - might keep
* CPANPLUS - unavailability might cause unwanted behavior on VMS, should
investigate
* CPANPLUS::Dist::Build

Sawyer.