JROBINSON grant report #10, #11

From:
Jess Robinson
Date:
September 26, 2012 01:29
Subject:
JROBINSON grant report #10, #11
Message ID:
alpine.LNX.2.00.1209260905200.3709@insel

I have now built a perl 5.17.4, compiled the results into an Android
package (.apk) and tried it out on my device. This lead me to notice that
I wasn't building the shared libraries correctly, so I went back and added
"android" to the list of osnames that need '-Wl,-E' as their ccdlflags.

I may end up doing this in a number of places (I need to re-check all the
parts of Configure that set things based on "$osname") - Are these also
just true for compiler == gcc? Or is that too simple? I shall attempt to
list them and ask here..

Having fixed the shared libraries (which made IO/IO.so not load), I went
on to do a bit of java poking to try and get perl-android-apk to capture
its STDOUT/STDERR somewhere. Didn't succeed last week, but I did get them
reopened to files at the Perl level, and can run at least one of the main
tests.

In week #10 I discovered that I hadn't yet quite fixed the header file
discovery to look in the compiler's sysroot, fixed this by having $userinc
prepend $sysroot if set. I also ported over my Errno_pm.PL changs that
look for errno.h in $sysroot if available.

Next I will try and get harness to run all the tests (it may work if I
have it run the same perl binary that it's being run with - $^X). Then
back to tidying up / making actual patches for Configure and pals.

Summary
-------

4:15h Header file location finding and Errno_pm.PL fixed.
6:00h Testing cross-built perl on Android

Jess