Re: My Perl Foundation Grant for Improving the Perl Debugger WasAccepted

From:
Shlomi Fish
Date:
September 1, 2012 01:47
Re: My Perl Foundation Grant for Improving the Perl Debugger WasAccepted
Message ID:
20120901114711.38c9afac@lap.shlomifish.org
Hi Rocky,

thanks for your message. See below for my response.

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 21:39:27 -0400
Rocky Bernstein <rocky@cpan.org> wrote:

> Hi Shlomi -
>
> Good luck on the proposal.

Thanks!

> Of course I have lots of thoughts on this topic. Since they are
> rather long detailed, I won't post them here but added to
> http://news.perlfoundation.org/2012/08/2012q3-grant-proposal-adding-t.html
> which
> might appear if that's approved.

I don't see your comment there yet.

> Although the thrust of the proposal is in writing tests -- good
> stuff! The harder and I think ultimately more important aspect is on
> refactoring perl5db.pl so it's not 10K or so in one file. (It is not
> 10K right now, but in the last year or so, I've noticed that this has
> been growing rather than being split up or refactored in any
> appreciable way.)

Well, I'd like to have a decent amount of test coverage before I refactor it,
in order to have more confidence that little got broken in the process.

> Since refactoring to me was important to me in starting Devel::Trepan,
>  <https://github.com/rocky/Perl-Devel-Trepan>I've
> already started along the lines splitting that code up and rewriting
> some of it a little. For now the DB package code been kept inside
> Devel::Trepan since that's the only thing using it.

That's good.

> I hope you will be able to use some of that code some of the ideas
> there. Also see how the Devel::Trepan tests are currently organized
> in the project. Again, there's more detail in the project page
> comment or if that is lost and there's interest I can send privately.

I'm interested in getting the E-mail.

Anyway, after talking with a friend on IM, we concluded that assuming
Devel::Trepan gets a "perl -d"-like command line frontend, then there may
be a lot of interest in replacing lib/perl5db.pl with it completely. However,
there are some licensing problems (because Devel::Trepan is GPLv2+ and Artistic
vs. Perl's GPLv1+ and Artistic), and last time I looked at the code, Trepan
contained some iffy practises such as putting several pragmata on the same
line or having subroutine prototypes (and for methods). I believe these issues
will need to be remedied before we can consider putting it in core.

That put aside, we agreed that writing more automated tests will help with making
sure the newer debugger codebase (whether it is Trepan, a refactored "perl -d", or
whatever) behaves correctly, so that's what I am going to do for now.

> I look forward to seeing great work (done with a touch of humor)!

Thanks!

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish