Re: My Perl Foundation Grant for Improving the Perl Debugger Was Accepted

From:
Rocky Bernstein
Date:
Re: My Perl Foundation Grant for Improving the Perl Debugger Was Accepted
Message ID:
CANCp2gbMkOPX3fsircihXh=hzEwKSQkfXqGfzv+YwxBEgPguuw@mail.gmail.com
Hi Shlomi -

Good luck on the proposal.

Of course I have lots of thoughts on this topic. Since they are rather long
detailed, I won't post them here but added to
http://news.perlfoundation.org/2012/08/2012q3-grant-proposal-adding-t.html
which
might appear if that's approved.

Although the thrust of the proposal is in writing tests -- good stuff! The
harder and I think ultimately more important aspect is on refactoring
perl5db.pl so it's not 10K or so in one file. (It is not 10K right now, but
in the last year or so, I've noticed that this has been growing rather than
being split up or refactored in any appreciable way.)

Since refactoring to me was important to me in starting Devel::Trepan,
 <https://github.com/rocky/Perl-Devel-Trepan>I've
already started along the lines splitting that code up and rewriting some
of it a little. For now the DB package code been kept inside Devel::Trepan
since that's the only thing using it.

I hope you will be able to use some of that code some of the ideas there.
Also see how the Devel::Trepan tests are currently organized in the
project. Again, there's more detail in the project page comment or if that
is lost and there's interest I can send privately.

I look forward to seeing great work (done with a touch of humor)!