[perl #69032] Bogus error message "Malformed UTF-8 character" when using a non-word Unicode character

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
March 29, 2012 00:14
Subject:
[perl #69032] Bogus error message "Malformed UTF-8 character" when using a non-word Unicode character
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-4610-1333005249-858.69032-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Oct 06 20:39:42 2011, sprout wrote:
> Also, my $♠ is now permitted, which is a bug.

I’ve made a separate ticket for that, #111980.

> And $  (that’s a non-breaking space, but Firefox is untrustworthy), too.

When we deal with Unicode brackets, we can deal with Unicode whitespace,
too.  See my note at
<https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=89032#txn-1097256>.

> > > But another issue that came up later in the ticket, that $♠♠ produces
> > > ‘Unrecognized character \xE2’ instead of mentioning the Unicode code
> > > point, is still not fixed.
> > >

> > This is fixed in the other gsoc branch thingy, so maybe in a couple of
> > whiles it will. Hopefully!

It was integrated recently.  See
<https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=107008#txn-1099872>.
I’m not sure which patch did it, but this bug is now fixed.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open