Re: The Great Pumpkin

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
October 31, 2011 15:50
Re: The Great Pumpkin
Message ID:
20111031224953.GA30066@cancer.codesimply.com
* Jesse Vincent <jesse@fsck.com> [2011-10-31T18:28:09]
> It's time for me to step back.

Thanks for everything you did, Jesse.  It's been a very good two years for
Perl 5.

It seemed like I ought to reply to Jesse's announcement, but to be honest I
don't have a lot to add right now. Those of you most active on p5p probably
have some idea what to expect from me, and if you don't, I think Jesse summed
it up: I want to continue to the good work that Jesse started, but I know our
visions aren't always the same. For the most part, though, I think we have the
same overall hopes for how Perl 5 can continue to improve for all of its users
-- including its maintainers.

Over the last two years, we have continuously improved how we release perl, and
we will continue to improve it. We've done a lot of work to make the Perl 5
language better, and we will keep doing that. We've even started to establish
something like a road map, or at least an ideal destination, and I'm hopeful
that we'll continue to refine not only the road map, but our conception of what
kind of road map our process can and should have.

Finally, as Jesse said, we're keeping on schedule! Expect monthly development
releases to continue, a new 5.14 maintenance release in December, and a brand
new release, 5.16, this spring.

Please don't hesitate to drop me a line if you have any questions about
anything I said, didn't say, should have said, or might say in the future.

--
rjbs