develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2011

Revising the OO docs - take 2

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
July 5, 2011 11:55
Subject:
Revising the OO docs - take 2
Message ID:
alpine.DEB.2.00.1107051347480.29108@urth.org
So after a hiatus, I'm back with more revisions. Here's where I'm at:

perlootut.pod - This is a new document. As you might expect from the name,
it's an OO tutorial focused on teaching some basic OO concepts and then
pointing people at CPAN.

perlobj.pod - This has been completely rewritten. It explains "old school"
Perl 5 OO, and I tried to hit every Perl 5 OO related feature I could
think of, since there is supposed to be a reference document. If I missed
something, let me know and I'll ad it.

perlref.pod - I added a section on circular refs. There was something
about this in perlobj, but it was ancient and didn't even mention weak
refs. BTW, there was basically _no_ docs on weaken in the core before this
change, so I think this is a good change all on its own.

You can read these here:

perlootut -
https://github.com/autarch/perl/blob/drolsky%2Foo-docs/pod/perlootut.pod

perlobj -
https://github.com/autarch/perl/blob/drolsky%2Foo-docs/pod/perlobj.pod

perlref -
https://github.com/autarch/perl/blob/drolsky%2Foo-docs/pod/perlref.pod

I'd also like to remove all the old OO tutorials and docs. That means
perlboot, perlbot, perltooc, and perltoot. But that can be a separate
discussion.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)