Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
February 28, 2011 12:49
Subject:
Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial
Message ID:
alpine.DEB.2.00.1102281440220.2213@urth.org
I've been working on a new OO tutorial for Perl. This is part of a larger
goal for the Perl docs to revise all of the existing OO documentation.

My new document is available online for review:

   http://urth.org/~autarch/new-pod/html/perlootut.pod.html
   http://urth.org/~autarch/new-pod/pod/perlootut.pod

This document has several goals. First, I want to introduce the reader to
general OO concepts like classes and methods. Second, I want to explain
how these are done in Perl. Finally, I want to get them started with
writing OO code as quickly as possible.

That final goal means I _do not_ explain lots of low-level stuff about how
to create objects. I just point the reader to CPAN and say "here's some OO
frameworks to explore".

Right now we have the following:

   perltoot - Tom's object-oriented tutorial for perl
   perltooc - Tom's OO Tutorial for Class Data in Perl
   perlboot - Beginner's Object-Oriented Tutorial

To the best of my knowledge, all of these documents date back to the
initial Perl 5 release. No offense intended to Tom or Randal (the
authors), but these documents have become extremely out of date in the
intervening 16+ years. Basically, there's a _lot_ of low-level stuff that
folks new to Perl 5 OO don't need to think about.

I'd like to remove all of these documents. They no longer reflect modern
Perl 5 OO practice, and I think any newbie reading them will just be
massively confused.

We also have:

   perlbot - Bag o' Object Tricks (the BOT)

This document includes both tricks (aka weird shit you can do with Perl)
and some best practices. The best practices are generally are still
relevant, but the rest of the document is very out of date (there's a
section on using SDBM!).

Finally, we have:

   perlobj - Perl objects

This is basically reference documentation. This could probably use some
revision, but we obviously still want a reference.

So my proposal is ...

* Replace all the existing tutorial docs with my new document

* Consider rewriting perlbot into a perloobp document (OO Best Practices),
or just remove it, since there's lots of best practice advice available
elsewhere.

* Revise perlobj to make sure it as complete and clear as possible.

Now I'll just put on my asbestos suit.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)