develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2010

Re: Directions of perl 5 development - requests from companies

From:
chromatic
Date:
Re: Directions of perl 5 development - requests from companies
Message ID:
201007171314.01025.chromatic@wgz.org
On Saturday 17 July 2010 at 09:30, Ævar Arnfjörð wrote:

> It'd be interesting to consider the sort of optimizations to perl that
> could be made with those limitations. I.e. C<use less 'correctness'>
> followed by fast baby-perl.

I've considered that.  PyPy's RPython is a good example of how this can lead
to optimization possibilities.  In the Perl world, the NQP language is a
subset of Perl 6 that's easy to implement, easier to optimize than full Perl
6, and suitable for writing the rest of Perl 6.

Implementing the most common 80% of Perl 5 in NQP should be straightforward.

-- c